Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The new national bird?

Your choice.
“Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.”—Mark Twain

It’s my intention (although not always delivered) to take a daily walk through the woods that run adjacent to my house. Above the trees runs a power line, upon which sit thousands of birds, and far above flies an eagle. I’ve contemplated this image and wondered that perhaps we need to adopt a new national bird; one that more closely resembles those sitting on the power line. The freedom of the soaring eagle, while clearly more desirable, doesn’t seem to match the current tendency of so many who cluster together on a line through which runs enough power to roast them all, just a fraction of inches beneath their feet. They appear oblivious to this danger and sit there, probably content to engage in their squawking, and ignore their fellow eagle soaring so freely above their heads.

The eagle is growing increasingly more extinct but the others seem to proliferate daily. Is this a good thing? There are gains and losses to everything and I leave my readers to decide for themselves.

2 comments:

  1. I like this, Dillon, so I shared it to FaceBook, if you don't mind. I'd like to see you back there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The life of an eagle is lonely, yet free, whereas being a bird of a feather is amiable and enslaved to popularity.

      Delete